View Single Post
Old 12-07-2014, 01:56 AM

I was shooting in a local PPC match, and doing MUCH better than I'd expected. I hadn't loaded enough ammo, But I had this little fully manual RCBS "one round at a time" reloader in my range bag, and I needed 18 rounds to finish the cycle.

I had primers, I had some powder, but no bullets. A fellow competitor from B.C. had a hundred home cast inverted wad-cutters and gave them to me. I was shooting better than I had all season, so foolishly I thought I'd reload 20 rds to get me through; no real powder measure except a small scoop, and I knew how to measure Red Dot by Eye...sure I did.

What I couldn't measure by eye was the mouth of pressure eye-balled powder charges combined with inverted wadcutters set flush to the top of the case would do; Thank goodness I was loading .38spl and shooting with a S&W .357mag revolver. Seems Red Dot, compressed by the bullet head made for some smoking hot rounds that were not anything like I was expecting. I didn't win, more importantly I didn't blow anything up either. I'd been planning on "modernizing" my reloading, and my powder...this gave me the nudge I needed