View Single Post
Old 01-29-2021, 11:50 AM

I used compound bows for 35 years (Hoyt/Mathews/PSE/High Country/BowTech/Elite/Darton/Champion/Bear).

I now have a couple Excalibur crossbows. In my experience:

Long range offhand shooting is going to be more accurate with a compound bow (mitigated by using a rest if possible).

Crossbows have an edge in the speed department (with some models 400+ fps).

Crossbows are generally heavier.

Compound bows are more manoeuverable and getting a second shot off is within the possible.

Recurve crossbows (Excalibur) are much, much less affected with timing/tuning issues. The only tuning issue that I deal with is arrow flight. Arrows generally like a high FOC. I use 175 gr tips/broadheads or use brass inserts with lighter points. You don't need a press to unstring/string your bow, you can do this anywhere. Consider a crank if you are thinking about a high poundage Excalibur because they can be a beast to cock.

I've killed many animals with a compound and I've killed many animals with a crossbow. They both get the job done.

With a crossbow, I've killed antelope and WT from a pop-up blind with shoot through screens. WT and MD from tree stands and MD while still hunting. I've not hunted moose or elk with my crossbows but I see that coming.

Furthest kill was when still hunting, MD doe at 55 yards, with an Excalibur Micro 335.

Scopes.........oh yeah, a definite plus. I tend to get rid of the package scopes and go with an upgrade.

Bulky clothing is not an issue with a crossbow like it can be with a compound.

A compound bowhunter can easily move to a crossbow and be competent by employing the skills garnered over years of hunting with a compound bow.