View Single Post
Old 11-01-2016, 09:36 PM

I'm not sure about 542 anymore on what the ratio is as the government hands out more and more tags and I see more and more people traveling north to where they can actually get a moose tag. With that being said the unregulated hunters are moving south to where there are more moose numbers. I hunt 350 south of slave lake and there was only 48 tags handed out this year, combined early and late season. I spend every day of the year out in this zone working and see it first hand that there has been more moose then that killed before tag holders can even start hunting sept 24. With that being said the govnt has seen the steady decrease in population and dropped tag numbers drastically, this use to be a priority 3 early season zone and now 4 years later is a 7-8 year draw. Unlike 542 & 541 they seem to be trying to manage the numbers by limiting the tags. Everyone has there own opinion on unregulated hunting and in today's politically correct world people are afraid to call it what it is. In my opinion it's a loosing battle and I'm afraid to see 350 turn into a 542 zone where you can't find a moose let alone a moose track.
What's the solution??? Again trying to be policiticaly correct.... The unregulated hunting needs to be regulated or at least accounted for so it is open to the public where they can see the impact. Number of bulls, cows, calves taken in each zone, there needs to be some accountability or the future will be dark in Northern Alberta.....