View Single Post
Old 07-04-2017, 09:12 PM

Default retaining walls, driveway markers, permanent blinds even used them for corner fence posts

Many years ago they replaced all the switch ties (heavier and wider than normal ties) on a siding near here.
I approached CN about buying some and they wanted $2. per tie but I had to take them in the order they came as they didnt want the good ones picked out and the junk left behind. I figured that was too much by the time I sorted and discarded every second or third tie so I passed.
CN called me back a month later and said they cant burn them cant use them so if I took them all I could have them for free.
think it was 7 or 8 truckloads on my new silverado in those days but we got them home and created 4 to 5 large stacks as high as myself and my boys could hoist them.
We build retaining walls, edged the driveway and gradually built up the pit run to crushed gravel by adding another layer or two of ties. We used ties as a back fill and partial back stop where we shoot as well. Had a few neighbors and friends take a few for similar projects but I still had a lot of them so we built permanent duck and goose blinds on a couple sloughs here. Cut one tie with chain saw and used leather hinges to attach a door so the dogs could go in and out. My pheasant pens all have screen buried around the edges but as an extra precaution we also lined the outside edge with railway ties. Sure there were other uses I cant think of right now but when you have them you will find a use for them. Bet there were two hundred good ones in those piles and they have been gone for many years.