View Single Post
Old 12-02-2007, 03:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post

If you're a serious coyote hunter, you should have a serious coyote rifle. Don't buy a 'double duty' rifle, it's a compromise and, as such, is not the best choice for a specific purpose.

Bobby B.
I like it.

Yeah...2 rifles. One for coyotes and one for anything bigger.

For the guy who wants to see impacts in scope good....and have a .22-250 trajectory?...the .204 ruger is your cartridge. I watch impacts in scope in ultra lite cz-american with a long harris swivel bi-pod attached which adds just enough weight to watch impacts right up to 9x on scope...even better when on low power. And that gun is tiny. Any standard weight .204 is awesome for watching impacts...the tikka varmint i had was a dream to shoot...light for a varmint at 8 lbs naked but perfect for holding down the .204 like it was almost a rimfire....super fun spotting your own hits on random dirt piles etc. out to 600 yrds! Puts the fun into shooting forsure.

I love my cz-american in .204, does a little over 4000 fps with factory 32 gr v-max and shoots 3/4 moa in my hand for 5 shots pretty routine....amazing trigger, perfect size/weight for a calling gun, detach mag (in and out of truck 10 times a day...its nice)...5 rounds in detach mag (comes in handy on some sets), watch impacts in scope...if thats not the perfect 'coyote calling' gun and cartridge then i dunno what is?....would prefer it in synthetic stainless and a smoother action but perfection isn't fun...the little gun has character.

I tried the tikka varmint in.204 after the cz-american...the tikka got sold. The little cz is a better calling gun imo...way faster handling when dogs in close...way nicer carry....the tikka was a 'perfect gun' really, smooth, 1/2 moa with factory ammo in my hands with 5 shots....but even though not as heavy as the american varmint rigs...still too heavy for a calling gun for my tastes. We might talk if they chamber in .204 for the t3 lite however...especially with the camo/stainless version...buy the 5 round mag and it might out do the cz for the ultimate calling gun.

As far as the deer gun...hard to beat a tikka again...love my .270 lam/ss. I'm going to kill some coyotes with it forsure and take it for wolves too...but for straight coyote days i like the little calibers most.

If that doesn't confuse you anymore.

Good luck.