View Single Post
Old 10-08-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
This is good advice, and the comment above sealed the deal - (along with many great opinions from others here).

The 700SPS "did not fit him" (the feel was just not right) so we spent a few more bucks and will purchase;

Weatherby Mark V Sythetic in 257Wby mag.

A good caliber that can do the job for most big game and not too punishing. Ammo will be a few buck more but ....what the heck - maybe we will start re-loading. I always wanted to do that anyways - a good father son activity on rainy days.

Leopold VX-I 3-9 40mm scope - I'm a big fan of good optics.

Ok so ....$1500 later - the kid is happy and there will be no regrets on buying something too cheap. This is about building memories of his first gun and heck .... what’s another extra $500 when you consider all of that?

I guess there is an old adage .... I can't afford to buy cheap things. I might have "missed the point" when limiting my mind (and budget) to $1000 for his first rifle. The kids are not going to miss any meals because of the extra $500.

After reading the above comment from 6.5 Shooter - how do I explain the BMW in our driveway and give the kid a cheap rifle? - I bought the car for his mom because of the quality, safety, resale and "feel". I spent an extra few bucks ..... so why wouldn’t the same rules apply to something else you buy? I guess I'd be a hypocrite as all my firearms (and optics) are quality pieces and I enjoy them.

I appreciate all the comments and perspectives here - it made this process a little easier for me.

Thanks 6.5 (and others) for snapping me back to reality.
He's gonna keep that gun for the rest of his life. I have pretty much the same set up, and it ain't going no where Except mine was $300 more

Weatherby Mark V Fibermark in .25-06 with a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40. Gonna be a life long gun for sure.
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets