View Single Post
Old 04-11-2014, 10:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
I hunted for grouse exactly 5 times this fall, and didn't shoot a single bird with my "freezer filling" methods...which is exactly my point. If I had enough grouse around here, perhaps my own approach would be different than it is, but if I ever want to eat one of these things, I need to hit the go button the moment I see them. Different circumstances/different approaches~all good as far as I'm concerned.

For the record, fall 2013 was the toughest I can remember in the handful of years I've been hunting ruffed grouse. In 5 outings, I think I caught a glimpse of 4 birds in total. If you MUST know~one was on the trail right between me and my pick-up truck when I was returning back from a 3km. hike. As "unsporting" as I am, I took a pass on that bird. Even a heathen like me can have a moment of inspiration. Perhaps there is hope...
No need to be so melodramatic. I simply described how I hunt birds. I didn't condemn anyone.
Quite the shame about low numbers in your area. This season I saw a few hundred and shot 37. Thats during 47 field outings mind you.