View Single Post
Old 06-17-2019, 03:31 PM

I was out elk hunting with a couple of guys a few years back the elk were scarce so we started putting on the miles scouting. We walked up over a little hill and surprised a large cow moose standing in the middle of the cut line. I started grunting to see if a bull was around being October 2nd I figured there would be a good chance. Two minutes later this monster sticks his head out of the bush line thinking it would be a good idea to have a better look at this beast I told the boys watch this. He was obviously in full rut and previous experience calling moose I was sure I could rev him up a little more and give the guys a show on moose behaviour ( mistake #1). I started grunting right after he did and walked slowly with my rifle over my head and swaying side to side (mistake #2). He came out on a string about a hundred yards and closing. When he got 30 yards away he started raking a willow bush so I bent over and did the same with the stock still above my head (BIG mistake #3). Well he dropped his head pretty sure that 50”+ bull was now 80”+ as he almost run me over I’d dropped my gun and dove behind a couple of big spruce trees that luckily were close enough to do so. Lucky for me he turned the other way and when the same direction the cow had gone.

Guess what I’m saying is be carful for what your asking for one might get it.