Thread: Best Fly Line?
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2021, 11:48 AM

Default single hand spey a must have line

Hi guys
I have been using single hand Floating spey lines by Vision for a couple of years now. I will not go back to standard WF single hand lines as the spey lines are 10 times better for casting up to about 80 feet. And you can do a 60 foot roll cast like a dream. All you need is about 10 feet of room behind you and the line rolls out beautifully. NO KIDDING. With some practice 80 feet is possible with 10 feet of room behind you. A 30 feet cast with no room behind you is easy.
I no longer use PVC lines like those made by RIO. They have wonderful tapers but the lines have very short lifespans as all of my Rios have cracked in 1 to 2 years and they coil badly.
I use Vision Vibe 85 fly lines. I believe they are made by Airflo and are made in England out of, I believe polyethelene?? not PVC and they last a very long time. They have a 27/28 foot long head and are 88 feet long. They have a spey taper where the heavies part of the head is toward the rear of the line not at the front of the line like a standard WF line. This makes the line easier to roll cast and do a standard single hand cast. For beginner fly casters it make learning a dream. You must slow down when casting them as they are a little heavier than a standard WF line. When you first use them they coil a bit but soon sit flat in the boat. Nice. And little or no stretch. Also nice.
I use the lines for lake fishing mostly as it makes casting an Indicator way easier than a standard WF line. I often use over 20 feet of leader below an indicator.
If you have a very short rod ,say 8 feet then a Vision Vibe 65 at 21 foot head my be what you would use. Nile Creek Fly Shop on Vancouver Island has these lines. Good outfit to buy from.
I have tried lines with shorter heads on my 9 and 10 foot rods and I have found that the 27/28 foot heads are best.
I have been fly casting 65 years so you can take this info for what it is worth.
Bjay