View Single Post
Old 09-11-2021, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
That’s not a straight forward question to answer. What your essentially asking is how much does adding 50 grains up front change your POI right?

I usually shoot 200 grains up front. By adjusting insert weight I use 100, 125 and 150 grain broadheads screwed into 100, 75 and 50 grain inserts. Often I’ll have five different types of broadhead in my quiver for different reasons. My setup for elk sized game is 520 grain arrows at 288-290 FPS.

I’ve shot that 520 grain arrow and a standard carbon arrow with a 100 grain point (total weight ~420 grains) at the same target at 60m. The lighter arrow is about 4” higher at 60m.

The difference in trajectory isn’t a big deal, the difference in penetration is significant.

My sights are still 20/30/40/50/60. I tried starting the first pin at 30m a few years ago but 25+ years of knowing my first pin was 20m and each subsequent pin was +10m was to difficult to overcome.

My preferred setup is one that’s tuned perfectly. Field tips, bare shafts and broadheads grouping together at 60m. I like 500+ grains but have the DL and DW to make it work for me and the entire arrow system can’t break on any impact. I’ve shot my arrows into cement paving stones, 44 gal drums and glanced them off the butt ends of a stack of firewood from 1m when they’re still in parallax and at distances to make sure they won’t fail. From the prep on the shaft and type of glue you use on the insert to the external footing up front and the type of shaft you buy it all matters. My arrows will and have broken every bone in an elks body and they won’t break on any impact.

That last sentence is correct. I’ve shot them through spines, shoulders and pelvises post mortem. On live (but soon to be dead) elk I’ve broken shoulders and the humerus.

This is what my pin gap looks like to 60 with 520 grain arrows.

I’ve been externally footing my arrows (both ends) for years, it’s the right thing to do and makes an arrow indestructible.