Thread: Wolves
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2021, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
No one will wipe out black bears. Population control is required though to help ungulates and even the caribou specifically.
Wolf numbers are down but far from wiped out...
wolves and bears aren’t why the caribou are in trouble but controlling their numbers will help the caribou stabilize and hopefully recover.
Bottom line is human encroachment (mines/logging/oil and gas lines) sucks for caribou but other ungulates don’t seem to mind it and even thrive.

Only had a single wolf track through one of my bait stations this winter. Got a couple coyotes and fox but no wolves.

Closest I’ve seen caribou to my line is about 20km, south of me. They don’t come into the line but I’m sure the wolves move through the range.

Wolf numbers being down is a start. Black bear numbers can come down for sure.
If I had someone to gift 6 hides to each year I’d do it one year and re asses the following year. Right now I take only one a year as a hunter . Anyone want a gifted hide? How about 6?
Wolves and bears are exactly why caribou are in trouble. The Wolf population might be high do to moose doing well, but they’re hurting the caribou now !

I have zero roads, zero pipelines, zero mining, yet my caribou numbers are falling just like everywhere else.
We kill 3-4 bulls per year, no resident has killed one of our caribou in the last 20 years.
So if it’s not predators and only human encroachment why are our caribou following the exact same trends as all other caribou herds in Alberta/BC ?