View Single Post
Old 01-19-2017, 02:36 PM
Banned

To be honest I'm not 100% certain what is meant by the term "Rubbed". Is that where the guard hair is pulled out when a coyote lays in the snow and the guard hairs freeze into it and gets pulled out? I know how the quality of the fur deteriorates towards the end of the season with the under fur thinning and eventually the guard hairs start to break making them shorter. Last year I had two late season coyotes that looked "woolly" that graded Semi. I'm guessing that they were rubbed? Anyone have a picture for an example of what rubbed looks like?

I'm going to keep hammering away until I think that the fur is too bad to continue. It also helps to manage the populations and taking out the mange dogs helps to improve the quality for next year. I start later in the season to catch prime coyotes, that I can control. I can't control the quality of the late season dogs but I think that it would be comparable to XLY and ELY dogs in October. I'm okay with $50 - $70 late season coyotes if that's all there is to catch. No good for bragging rights for a high average but I'm more concerned with the bottom line.

To me it sounds early to be talking about rubbed coyotes but Trappers know their own areas. Happy trapping!