View Single Post
Old 01-25-2019, 11:56 PM

30 some years ago, mid 80's, I took my kids tobogganning on the Coal Lake hills and while they played I chopped a hole in the middle of the lake. No one else was fishing the whole north end of the lake. No old holes anywhere either. I dropped a small minnow shaped rubbertail down to the bottom in about 6 or so feet of water. 30 seconds of my hook being in the water and I had a 13 inch perch on the ice. In 20 minutes I caught 8 or 9 perch that were 12 to 13 inches. Kids got bored so we went tobogganing. I went a few times after that and caught smaller perch but never hit big perch another day like that first time. A decade later more and more people went there and fished it out for big perch. Also gets hit with blue algae in the summer once in a while. Remember seeing dead fish and birds along the shore. Big 20 lb. dead pike and lots of dead perch.

I wouldn't doubt there would still be a few big perch in Coal. Key word - "few" The lake did have good sized perch so the potential is there.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets