Thread: Copper queen
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2021, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktail1 View Post
so I shoot my three shot string over the course of say five minutes taking my time . After that string is done I’m letting barrel cool down to warm as it does see temp come up fairly quickly in 257 as you probably know. When I say it “ opens up “ I go from .75 moa to 2 inch groups and it only gets worse.

That is strange. I don't have experience with that caliber. But do remember my former Sako 300winmag with a thin profile. Would get the 4shots in a MOA group then would get warm and start spraying everywhere. Was more of a caliber issue with the thin barrel and heat compared to the barrel being bad. If you did super slow strings or used in a hunting type situation of 2 shots max of aiming it was great, but in a bench situation was horrible. Would have to let it drop back to almost a cold bore situation before it smartened up again

Maybe yours is acting like that? Just my suggestion from spending lots of money on powder and bullets to find out that one doesn't act like how my heavier barreled stuff works. Trade off between happy carry and happy bench