View Single Post
Old 11-13-2018, 06:02 PM

Default Feasibility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
The fact there were 2 very large brown trout caught within the last 6 months by people who were not even trying to catch them indicates that a brown trout fishery in Edmonton is feasible. Feasibility is not the issue, but the (im)practicality of making it happen is the fundamental stumbling point.

The Red Deer River has a significant population of walleye and pike, yet the brown trout managed to form a stable population. I have caught a brown trout in the NSR at the Clearwater confluence but that was a couple hundred kilometres upstream, where the NSR is still very much a trout habitat.
I definitely would not interpret 2 brown trout = feasibility. Overall, the NSR - in the Edmonton stretches - is not ideal habitat from my understanding. It is not the same as the RDR (or the Bow of course). Besides lack of habitat, as others have pointed out, stocking fish here would only feed other apex predators. I think we have to be content in this specific case of getting what get: incidental catches from time to time.

I for one would be surprised to see any bio come out and support the stocking of brown trout in the Edmonton area.

But who knows, I could stand corrected; after all there were bull trout in the area until the 1950's.