View Single Post
Old 08-05-2020, 09:16 PM

Default New to big game

I知 a long time hunter but new to big game. I致e been hunting birds since I was old enough to walk and I have a real good pointer that I知 happy to share. But in the last few years I致e been getting more interested in learning to be a successful big game hunter and entering the draws and building some priorities. I know quite a lot about the wild areas of Alberta. I have a lot of backcountry experience including trekking and a bit of mountaineering, but I致e never really known where to get started hunting for deer and elk. I知 not the biggest guy but I keep marathon fit (I run 1 or 2 a year) and I can cover 30km on foot with a pack in a day in any terrain. I知 drawn to wild areas and I知 more interested in hunting Alberta痴 wilderness areas than from a vehicle or in field (not that I begrudge those that do). In some ways the rougher the better. My interest in hunting lies in the experience, the wild areas, and the grass-fed meat, more than trophies(though I appreciate those too).

If any of that sounds like a match with anyone, I知 looking to meet up with a like-minded hunter(s), especially anyone willing to show me around the big-game game. I知 keen to learn the trade and happy to help out with packing. I知 hoping to go for whitetail this year. Shoot me a PM. As mentioned, I知 happy to share by bird experience and my dog. I知 also a very experience fly fisherman if anyone is looking to get into that.