View Single Post
Old 03-30-2020, 07:29 PM

Hit an old woman. snowy slippery night, driving down a steep street slowly about 30 KPH, about 50 yds ahead an elderly couple were on the opposite side of a narrow residential street out walking waiting to cross the street, no crosswalk, saw them an gave the horn a tap to make sure they knew I was there so they wouldn't walk out in front as I wasn't sure they saw me coming, soon as I beeped the horn the woman spazed and started across the street fast as she could move , her husband tried to grab her and hold her back but slipped and fell down, she kept coming, it was like slow motion, car sliding slowly but not slowing down. Knew I couldn't stop so let off the brakes and cut into the snowbank and hit her at the same time, thankfully the snow bank was solid and stopped the car dead just as we hit her, she flopped onto the hood then slid down under the front bumper. Friend and I got out, she was laying there not moving, thought we killed her. Her husband was there by then and we pulled her out from under the bumper. Dusted her off, think she was in shock or scared to death, anyway after a few minutes of "are you okay" and such we got her on her feet no worse for wear, not a scratch. Thats when the old man started scolding her asking her what ever posessed her to run out in front of a car, what was she thinking?. Then started apologizing to us offering to pay for the minor damage on the car. Told him to forget it, we were just happy we didn't hurt her. That was about 40 years ago, haven't hit a pedestrian since.