View Single Post
Old 06-26-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
why cant everyone be treated equal???
Exactly, no matter where I see these threads they always end up with someone claiming racism or that non natives are jealous. All most of us want is for the fish and game be managed for future generations. You don't realize how fast it can be gone, I've seen populations of Atlantic salmon disappear from poaching and from natives. The poachers we can report and cut nets, there's nothing we can do about the natives in the fish ladders with pitch forks.

Back in Nova Scotia this year we had most of our salmon rivers closed because there's not enough salmon returning to support a native fishery, so the only way the natives would give up rights to fish on those rivers is if DFO would close the catch and release fisheries. Most of my favorite rivers are closed and probably will never open again as long as there are native treaty rights and now there are less people on the rivers to monitor them which means increase in poaching. It all started a few years ago when a CO tried to lay charges on an Indian for jigging salmon from a bridge.