View Single Post
Old 07-19-2019, 10:03 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
No experience with the particular ford diesel. However, def systems in even the new trucks haven't been properly sorted from what I've seen. Diesels, in my experience, do not do well if over a quarter of their lives is spent in stop and go type of driving, or short trips where then engines do not have a chance to fully warm up.

My family's situation makes sense for diesels. If we start the vehicle, the trip is likely to be a minimum of 25 highway km or more before it gets shut off again. But most of the times it gets started and it's 129 km before it gets shut down.

Systems with DEF require longer trips to keep the exhaust system from clogging. If it doesn't have that, it's a major repair of dragging the entire system out of the vehicle, and cleaning it. If the system isn't cleaned out, backpressure damages the engine.

Many guys get a DEF delete. However manufacturers are always changing the vehicle software making it harder to delete the DEF system. It's ironic as the Def delete generally makes the vehicle more efficient while increasing power. Makes me wonder what is really going on with the emissions stuff.

Just my thoughts.
See that is the type of driving I do. I commute 100km to work and 100km home every day. I use the truck for work here and there for sure, but rarely will it get started and run for less than 30 minutes. That is why I think it may be a good fit.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23