View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 06:55 AM

I had exactly a setup like that many years ago. Pretty much fished anywhere I wanted to launch the boat. I had a 20 merc on the back and moved quite well even with me the wife and 4 kids going down the lake. That was the days before 4 strokes everywhere so weight wasn't too bad but keep in mind a 20 or 25 4 stroke is pretty heavy. I would see if you can find a lightly used 2 stroke if you can.
If I do my boat thing over again I will probably go back this route so I am more portable. My 16.5 ft fiberglass is great on the southern waters when rough but really limits where I can take it. I do fish some smaller reservoirs that I cannot launch after early season and the waters go down in the reservoirs. The right 14 foot like I used to have would suffice for most places I fish. For those crazy weather days just don't be on the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Looking at downsizing to a highly portable quick attack unit.

Something bare bones that can be pounded down a gravel road then dragged by a couple guys to the water. A boat that could wheel into the launch and handle a mid sized lake in fair conditions without an issue.

The Lund SSV14 specs seem to beat all others with beam width, bow depth, amidship depth and transom height.

What are the opinions putting a 20hp on a 14’? Then trying to push 3 fisherman and light gear around the lake? Seems like a 30hp motor would be unmanageable (weight wise) to separate from the boat at the lake. Also get into electric start at that point and I don’t want the extra battery.

Any experience with the 14’ tinners?