View Single Post
Old 05-26-2020, 09:26 AM

Unhappy Unjust F&W fines

Hello Friends, this is my story: I went to buy my tags for special walleye harvest for lake St. Anne in Cabela’s last Wednesday, that day they did not give me the wires because there were no more, I did not give much importance to that. I got home and put the tags in my tackle box. Last weekend a friend and I went fishing with my son, a friend of his and my friend's daughter. It was a fun day of fishing in which we harvested 5 walleyes of the compulsory size. After taking the fish out of the water I proceeded to tag them, but I realized that I did not have my wires, I asked my friend for wires but he did not bring them at that time, the wires were in his truck.
It was very easy for us to decide that when we got to the boat launch we were going to tag the fish. After finishing the fishing we arrived at the boat launch, then my son and his friend who are teenagers without asking but with all the good intention of helping, took the cooler with the fish and pops and started walking towards the pickup that was about 100 meters from the boat launch. Almost arriving at the truck, the kids were stopped by an F&W officer who checked the cooler.
The officer approached us and we discuss the situation, we expressed our intention to tag the fish at the boat launch, we showed our permits and our tags and the fish were within the size limits. Even so we ended up with the fish and tags confiscated and a fine of 150 dollars per fish in the reason of improperly tagged fish. I really did not think we were ended up fined, I thought we would receive a warning or perhaps a lighter fine. My friend had a fine of 300 dollars and I a fine of 450 dollars, this ruined what had been an excellent day of fishing.
Do you believe that you should appeal this fine in court? on the grounds that we have had any history of F&W fines,we had all of our tags, licences, permits and the intention to do the right things, but due to a good intention of the kids and a problem of wire shortage in Cabela’s we ended up being unjustly fined.