Thread: 7-08 for moose
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2024, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
Here, now, we get two days to hunt in October, and two days in November. Tripalm/10pt/or spike forks. Thats it. In November there is about 9 hours of daylight. Pretty short window, with highly specific antler requirements.

This years very large tripalm/10 point bull was shot (with a winters worth of meat in mind, not a guided hunt for fun so I’d argue it was a MORE important shot) quartering in to me at about 170m, close to timber and swamp, at -20*C with the specific thought to break his onside shoulder right where he stood. The cartridge and bullet combination I used was more than enough to completely smash the knuckle at the bottom of the scapula, and continue on to get caught under the hide after breaking a rib. Year before the same rifle/cartridge/bullet combination smashed both shoulder knuckles at 151 m and hung up under the hide on the offside. That bull was on the ground before I could even chamber a second round, and I’m quick with a bolt gun. And what I use, wasn’t even close to a 7/08/139 Interlock. The OP has more than enough bullet for moose.

Bullets matter more than headstamps. Pick a good bullet, that will give the penetration and expansion characteristics you want to see at your impact velocity, and go kill stuff.

Bullets are the only aspect of the hunt that matter when it comes to killing- not the cartridge that started it out of the barrel.
Why bust up both shoulders . You think the 139 interlock would do the trick on busting up shoulders ???? The ttsx will do it ,but I still don;t bust up both shoulders just because i can .

Last edited by JD848; 03-17-2024 at 10:10 PM.