View Single Post
Old 08-27-2018, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Thanks for the tips. I know the browns are few and far between, and be very picky. Do they tend to hold in shallower water? Was out yesterday in Red Deer, and did manage to get 3 of the biggest Rockies I’ve ever caught. 17”ers. Caught them on 3” paddle tail Jigs of all things. Go figure?
I am happy to hear about the whitefish.

I stopped in Red Deer to fish for 1 hour on the way home from Edmonton from 19h30-20h30.

I caught this fish on a sz18 copper john. I can promise the fly was not important. It was a small fast sinking mayfly-like attractor. Almost anything would have worked if you could identify the pocket.

Traditionally speaking, slow current breaks behind beaver lodges would normally be brown trout heaven, but in the RDR, there are good numbers of pike and walleye. The brown trout *might* share water with another brown trout, but they will share it with whitefish.

If you are catching big whitefish, the brown trout could be close by. Whitefish tend to like the deeper pockets with a fairly good current, where they can hug the bottom but are still protected from ambush predators. Walleye and pike do not like to hold in this kind of water.

Otherwise, you are looking for thigh-deep bends and pockets with access to good night time hunting grounds. Good night hunting grounds will be a broad expanse of knee-deep water. You will be looking for 'trouty water'. There is not much of it downstream of Fort Normandeau.

Grey drizzly days and night time are your best time for active browns. All the brown trout will start moving upstream in the next couple of weeks.

Last edited by scel; 08-27-2018 at 03:21 AM.