View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 11:45 PM

Default vintage guns

Figuring out the loads (especially in a SXS where the goal is to get the two barrels to shoot to the same point of impact) is greatly satisfying when it finally comes together. I thought I was an experienced reloader when I got started into this new game, and now I find I am just beginning! Duplex loads (black powder over nitro), and the art of paper patching were unheard of before I started down this road. Incidently, paper-patching is highly recommended to all you 45 shooters who roll your own! Check out the book by Paul Mathews on the subject. Guys have been shooting thousand yard targets with black powder guns and this "old school" technology, far longer than a "kestrel" was ever invented.
New projects for this fall, will be the J.Beattie & Co. SxS in 450 3 1/4". To give you an idea, the cartridge is almost identical to the 45-120, for anyone who is familiar with that load.
I have been waffling on shooting another project that is in the works as well. I have an over-bored 10 gauge rifle. It slugged out to a .810 diameter. When I found someone to make a roundball mold for it, a cast wheelweight ball for this cannon ended up weighing in at 760 grains! The gun only weighs in at 9 1/2 lbs. I think it's gonna hurt when I pull the trigger on this one!!!!