View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 05:23 AM

If the rifle in question didn't have a magazine, but had a floorplate with peep sights, it was likely a P14 or m17 Enfield, one piece stock with the big "ears" on the back to protect the rear sight.
As far as the cartridge itself goes, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with it i=other than the fact the rifle that it was most often chamber for was war -time produced, with a single locking lug that tends to overstress the brass sometimes.
But that is because of the rifle , not the cartridge.
When the cartridge is chambered in a rifle like the 1895 Winchester, or a decent martini, or the P14 or the M17, or some other such rifle with double locking lug and a stiffer action, it is quite fine.

It has mild recoil, but because of the Military stock design, many hate it.

But do not think it is under powdered or incapable of killing as it is VERY capable of doing such .
Out to 250 yards or so in most guns it is right there.
he rifles it is generally chambered in are tough customers as well, and will take a lot of abuse.
if I was in the position to get a family heirloom back I would, as well.

I have two Enfields BTW, that have been in my family for some time, one in a custom stock with a 3X Kahles scope on it, and another , which is a factory complete and original Long branch built #4 Enfield .
This rifle never saw service, but was and still used as a target rifle.
it still will hold 1.5MOA or better.
I am in the process of getting a custom rifle put together at this moment by Bill Leeper, and it will be in .303 British.
Cat