View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 12:43 AM

Default .303 british rifle

so here is the deal..my father used to own a .303 british rifle that belonged to my grandfather and that my dad refinished, re-checkered etc...but when the new registry laws came into action my dad didn't want to get his PAL (he has it now though)...and since i was out of the country at the time my dad just gave it to his brother....

now my question is this...is this a gun worth getting back...for more than sentimental reasons? i do some varminting and i am going to start elk this season. now i know the old addage that the .303 has takem more game than almost any other caliber in canada..but is that really true?? is it an adequate rifle?? what is the recoil like compared to say a .270 or a 7mm-08?? are reloading supplies for the .303 readily available?

and lastly..i am not too sure what brand/model it was...from what i can remember it did not have a clip...but it did have a floor plate....a very smooth action on the bolt...and flip up sites that i loved.....anyone have any guesses??....and does anyone know if a scope can be mounted on it??

so, what say ye gun sages of the board....should i pursue this or is it better to save up and get me a new rifle?