View Single Post
Old 08-20-2016, 02:21 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Hey Keg... Did your Dad ever mention catching inconnu further north in rivers? Maybe he didn't go much further north.

Funny no anglers talk about inconnu much. Everybody goes to the coast for salmon but you never hear of anyone going north for inconnu. They grow to 1.5 meters long and can weigh 60-70 lbs. They are a type of whitefish and are supposedly excellent tablefare and can be prepared just the same as salmon.
They are in the Mackenzie river system and Great Slave lake and Great Bear lake further north.They range into a small area of the northern part of BC too.

Also called 'coney' or 'sruh.'
Dad's first trip north of the 60th was in the summer of 86. We took him to Resolute Bay. We fished from the shore. Inconnu, or conies, are mostly caught in deeper water. I have never caught one nore has anyone I have fished with.
But I have seen a couple.

We talked to a native fisherman at Fort Res who had a few, one was big, over 30 pounds. He said they feed them to the dogs.
Others have told me that as table fare they are about the same as Whitefish, but oily.

Dad never fished for them or even saw one.

Maybe part of the reason they aren't talked about much is because there are so many much better fish to catch where they do exist.
The pike from those waters give Walleye a run for their money at the dinner table and are better fighters then Walleye and Coney.
I'm told that fighting a big Coney is like fighting a small submarine. Tons of pull but nothing else.

And, as far as I know, anywhere Coneys are caught, there are Lakers as well. And big Lakers.

We are planning another trip this fall, and Conies are one of our target fish.
If we can get my big boat running right.

George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by KegRiver; 08-20-2016 at 02:28 AM.