View Single Post
Old 08-19-2016, 06:23 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357xp View Post
Probably the one at the chutes, I have pics of the boiler. Always thought it was part of the d.a Thomas, but according to kegs post above it wouldn't be. Have to read some history books I guess.
The D A Thomas was damaged when she went over the chutes, but all reports I've seen say she was able to continue and was eventually abandoned at Fort Fitzgerald

Moreover, the list is not complete. I know for sure there were other boats not on the list.
For instance, there was the Russian Navy. I have seen photos of it. It was a dual paddle wheeler with paddle wheels on each side at midships.

I was talking to big bro this afternoon and he told me the reason it was called the Russian Navy was because the majority partner was a Russian and quiet a character apparently.
It turns out I was wrong about the who owned the Russian Navy. The boat owned in partnership with Ted Stigson was in fact called The Wolvarine and the partner was a fellow named John (Jack) O'Sullivan.
The Wolvarine was built in 1934. I found nothing about her demise.

There may well have been other boats that worked the river that are not mentioned in that list, or it could be one from the list. I noticed that some do not mention how they ended service.

Buffalo Lake, Watson Lake, Weenusk and the Weenusk II do not list how they ended their careers.

Or it could be one of the boats the run from the chutes down to Hay River and beyond. None of these are on the list as it pertains only to those that run above the chutes.

Quote:
The first motorized vessel on the Peace system was the SS Grahame, built by the Hudson's Bay Company in Fort Chipewyan in the winter of 1882-83.[1] She carried freight 200 miles (320 km) up the Peace to Vermilion Chutes, where the company’s goods were portaged around the rapids and reloaded into a flotilla of scows and canoes for the journey onward.
Other boats not on the list include, from the lower river;

Northland Call
Pine Pass
Northland Echo
Lady Mackworth, sister ship to the D.A. Thomas.
The Grenfell
SS Distributor
Northland Trader

George Bernard Shaw