Thread: Elk tactics
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2020, 10:04 AM

Right now based on what I’ve seen on my 2 game cams and me doing early morning hiking-spotting

They are all over the place and really quite spread out. I’ve found singles and small groups doing their 6AM morning grocery grab in draws I usually never see them in.

Many seem to be cruising along... real high up.

Bulls Are velvetted up nice nice. It’s easy eating as everything is so dang lush.

If this water stays around till Sept.... setting or concentrating on water sources may not be a great idea. Lots and lots of water everywhere.

Plenty of small bears around..... I’ve spotted very few ‘shooters’

3 griz seen so far, which is odd..... but maybe they’re down in the valley with all that yummy camper garbage that’s abounding everywhere.

From mid Aug to 1st week of sept..... you have a great chance at finding wandering bulls...
The herds are just starting to form up and the hierarchy dynamics haven’t really set up solid yet.
Last week of sept... first week of oct, you’ll have wanderers again either looking for second estrus cows to breed or satilite bulls that have given up competing with the herd Bull and want to find easier pickings.

Courting mews work great at these times.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."