View Single Post
Old 04-15-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
When you strip a shotgun the internal hammers are cocked and resting precariously on the mechanics of the trigger release. Many older sxs shotguns could be fired without touching the triggers or safety. This is especially true of poorly maintained guns. The only accidental discharge I have seen was on closing break action shotgun, auto safety no fingers on the trigger.

We had a FEG Monte Carlo that fired on closing. It was dragged through the salt and mud like a rented mule but it is a similar design to most European trigger groups and hammer assemblies.

I doubt very much that your well maintained guns will ever cause an issue. I don't imagine you will get excited and slam shut your shotguns or loose control of the muzzle, BUT for many novice hunters that are very excited when a bird flushes or takes an unexpected fall the results could be very different.

Do you think the accidental discharge you described earlier would have happened if the hunter had been walking with loaded gun rather than trying to load a gun in those circumstances?
You completely avoided the fact that when a shotgun falls from shoulder height, the shotshells usually fall out either in the air or when the gun strikes the ground. You also avoided the fact that simply dropping an open shotgun from shoulder height is not at all likely to result in the action being fully closed.

As for depending on a safety, safeties have been known to fail, especially when the trigger has been adjusted by someone with no clue, or when the owner has lubed the trigger mechanism, resulting in it becoming gummed up. Anything that can happen when loading/closing a firearm when game is seen, can happen when the firearm is loaded/closed beforehand.