View Single Post
Old 04-15-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Actually the odds of falling with a shotgun broken over the shoulder , and the shotshells not falling out of the chambers, and the action fully closing, and the trigger being struck are extremely remote, compared to the odds of falling with a closed chamber and the tang safety on the same gun being moved, and the trigger being struck. . I actually don't like tang safeties because if you trip, your hand can easily slide forward and move the safety to the fire position. As for my own SxS hunting shotguns, they have auto safeties that engage automatically when the action is closed. As such, the odds of everything happening that needs to happen in order to accidentally discharge one of my upland shotguns in a fall are pretty much non existent. I have seen people slip or trip, when carrying shotguns broken over the shoulder, and usually both shotshells fall out of the chambers, and the action does not close.
When you strip a shotgun the internal hammers are cocked and resting precariously on the mechanics of the trigger release. Many older sxs shotguns could be fired without touching the triggers or safety. This is especially true of poorly maintained guns. The only accidental discharge I have seen was on closing break action shotgun, auto safety no fingers on the trigger.

We had a FEG Monte Carlo that fired on closing. It was dragged through the salt and mud like a rented mule but it is a similar design to most European trigger groups and hammer assemblies.

I doubt very much that your well maintained guns will ever cause an issue. I don't imagine you will get excited and slam shut your shotguns or loose control of the muzzle, BUT for many novice hunters that are very excited when a bird flushes or takes an unexpected fall the results could be very different.

Do you think the accidental discharge you described earlier would have happened if the hunter had been walking with loaded gun rather than trying to load a gun in those circumstances?