View Single Post
Old 07-24-2017, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba300 View Post
As quert said, only bump shoulders as much as you need to,I always like to feel a little resistance when pushing bolt down.
I almost always fl size my hunting rounds,but only bump shoulders enough to chamber nicely,although not really sure if you have to worry as much with a belted case but it can't hurt.
snip
IIRC belted cases were developed as a way to reduce the rim dia on straight or slightly tapered large bore cartridges. The belt is not required for a case that has a shoulder large enough to control forward movement and headspace. Modern magnum designs do not have belts.
IMHO bottleneck belted cases will likely have better accuracy and MUCH better service life if the belt is ignored and NOT used for headspace control. The proper minimum shoulder bump will allow the case to headspace on the shoulder.
FL sizing a belted case to SAAMI minimum can be justified, to aid reliable chambering of dirty ammo or in a dirty chamber, when dealing with dangerous game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba300 View Post
Best way to set dies i have found is put a fired case in your chamber and close bolt,you should feel some resistance but maybe not.If you do set your die a little looser than normal and size then try it in your chamber again.If you still feel resistance keep moving die down 1/16 turn at a time till you can just feel it when pushing bolt down.
Good luck
Or use the proper over-height Redding Competition shell holder from their 5 pc set. They eliminate the need to adjust FL dies or to even tighten the die locking ring.
Some suggest allowing the die to float slightly to improve body concentricity, by using a loose die nut or an O-ring under the nut, (but I have not tested this and have my doubts), I use the Comp Shell Holder set because it is fast, easy, repeatable, and consistent even when using different presses.
Unfortunately, they are not inexpensive.

Good Luck, YMMV.