View Single Post
Old 01-24-2021, 08:57 PM

Default Fly Fishing Westlock/Athabasca Area?

Hello Everyone,

I've been a member for awhile but pretty much just a lurker....I am in my first year of learning how to fly fish so don't really have much of any use to contribute. It has been a challenge but I am having a great time, I'll have an even better time when I finally manage to catch something

Last summer I spent as much time as I could in the Nordegg area exploring and finding fishing spots but this year due to life circumstances I don't think I will be able to get down there that much this year. I recently moved between Westlock and Athabasca and was wondering if there was much out there for fly fishing opportunity for someone with no boat. I do have a kayak but am not comfortable on it in fast water as it is just a rec boat and I am going out by myself.

Last year I went to where the Freeman meets the Athabasca and I will definitely try there again. I have heard chain lakes might be a good spot to take the kayak but other than that I don't know the area at all. I'm not looking for anyone's super-secret honey holes but if anyone has any ideas of places I might try within a 2-hour drive I would be super grateful. I don't mind going for a few mile hike to get to fishing spots. If anyone can give me any ideas I would really appreciate the help. I've been trying to look on google maps for areas that look promising but am not coming up with much. I'll probably end up driving to Athabasca and seeing how far along the river I can walk if nothing else.