View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLB View Post
I am from sask and do not bait. I do not believe that CWD is a big concern with baiting. The highest prevalence of CWD is in mule deer and very, very few people are baiting for mule deer as they don't seem to come to bait with any predictability. My biggest problem with baiting is that when guys throw up bait pile they quite quickly think no one else should be hunting any where near there. I have even heard guys say that no one should be hunting within a square mile around their bait. Guys like me who don't bait leave very little sign when we have been hunting in an area, all of a sudden a guy moves in and throws up a couple baits and he expects to have the whole area to himself even though their has been other guys hunting the area for many years. Every body talks about wanting to get more people out hunting but then in the next breath want sole access to large tracts of land so they can bait and not have anyone else around. Baiting will close off more access to land than anything will. A guy argued with me that when I sit a waterhole I am baiting just like he is. My response was that if I came up to the waterhole I was hunting and someone else was there before me I would look for another place to hunt. What do you think his response to me would be if he came up to me at his bait pile and I was sitting there first? With the large numbers of hunters you have in Alberta and outfitting on private land I think you would quickly find less and less places to access if baiting were ever made legal.
Unfortunetlloy, I have heard the same arguments from bear hunters when it comes to the baiting debate, they sem to think no one should be allowed t hunt be anywhere around a baited area. I don't bait bears either.
Cat