View Single Post
Old 06-02-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgib01 View Post
Have you considered the Airflo polyleaders? They are an inexpensive way to easily add a sink tip to a floating line. I thought they were a great way to try out a sink scenario without getting a whole new line. I have a couple of trout varieties that I use, most often for quick change up to go deep with streamers. I do have a fast sink tip line as well in my 6wt that I primarily use on stillwater. Finally, an intermediate clear I use often on my 8# for pike.
Along the same line of thinking,I carry an assortment of various length and density sink tips,and just add them on to my regular floating lines as required.
ie;just go to Fishtales,buy yourself a few different lengths of T-10 from the bulk spool,(6',10',16' etc)and have them weld loops into the ends.....voila....detachable sink tips.
Poly leaders work "ok" but not really intended for getting you way down deep,they are nice though to get a fly down a bit for a subsurface presentation if you are swinging for Steelhead/Atlantics etc....or even just swinging wets and small streamers for trout.....but they aren't going to get your fly down more then a foot or three in most skinny water/moving water swinging scenarios.....but often a foot or two subsurface presentation is just the ticket when lockjawed anadromous species are reluctant to rise and take on the surface.

Last edited by West O'5; 06-02-2018 at 09:01 AM.