View Single Post
Old 04-23-2018, 09:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Dave, the secret is deep water beaver. Stay away from shallow water and you will take a much better quality beaver.

Shallow water beaver fur takes a beating every time they'd leave the hole, they push out and hit the bottom with their bellies, hit the sides of their shallow water runs, etc. A deep water beaver launches out of his hole and his fur simply pushes water.
That makes sense unless they chewed a hole and spent time above the ice. I had one spot this Spring where that was happening but the fur was fine. This location isn’t much different than other spots that I trap so I’m thinking that there was a log or something else that they had to rub against going in and out of their lodge. Everywhere else is mud or fine gravel. Anyway, traps are going out tomorrow and I’ll see what the others look like.

Nube, I know about them floating back up but thanks. I might get lucky but I think that one’s gone. The water is moving pretty fast and the dams have breaks in them now. I’ll look again tomorrow anyway though.