View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 12:18 AM
Banned

Default power engineering

Depends why you are considering taking the course and choosing that career? There are far too many who get into it knowing nothing about it other than good pay, lots of days off due to shift work, a parent or relative works in operations and says it is easy, etc. Then when they do get a job they really struggle because they took it for all the wrong reasons. In this province, getting a job won't be hard if you finish the course, but if you can't handle various aspects of the job and are getting into it just for the money, you may be in for a surprise. Just my opinion. I just think there are far too many that come on here asking about it and get the "great gig, good money, lots of time off" replies, but are unaware of the other sides of things. Will you like swinging valves for a few hours at -30? Can you work nights shifts? Are you ok with women making up only about 5-10% of the work force? Can you handle pressure, if you end up working on a panel and can't take it, that won't be a good situation for you. Do you have mechanical aptitude? The majority of what you take in school you won't use once you are on the job, mostly the math and physics aspect. Just curious, why did the nursing route not work out for you? Not trying to disuade you one way or the other, but I am noticing a lot of people getting into this field are not turning out to be the best candidates once they are hired. This may or may not help, good luck.

Last edited by SBE2; 11-19-2012 at 12:21 AM. Reason: spelling correction