View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 11:58 PM

Default Excellent choice

Couldn't choose a better career, excellent wages and so versatile as far as the many industries requiring power engineers. Oilfield is by far the highest paying but the more risky option as far as longevity. I've been a power engineer for approx 8 years now and never have had one regret. I've spoken to many who have been doing this thru economy ups and downs and all agree that they have never worried about work even with projects closing down and what not. The job can be mundane at times and others overwhelming so it is very dynamic. There are always opportunities to move into many different positions and pay brackets. I would say there is pros and cons for women, slight advantage to get a job initially, and some other operators are resistant to women but I have seen that change quickly when women show they are capable of performing same standard of work. It's just the way it is, but times are changing and ignorant attitudes. Companies are all very fair regardless of sex. It is a great job to choose and I would highly recommend you take the chance. Also much easier to get your foot in the door with a minimum of a 3rd class ticket.