View Single Post
Old 10-07-2019, 08:22 PM

Default Importing a scope into Canada - walkthrough

I posted this on CGN, but I'll put it here as well, hopefully it has value:

I just got a scope in the mail from the US, I'm gonna give a detailed walk through on the form(s) and process, though its very simple:

Find a retailer in the US that will send in the export paperwork, I used Euro optic LTD as they were easy to deal with, quick and did not charge a fee to send in for export permit.

Step 1.
Find retailer (who will do the export), you will need
  • PO number, you need to purchase before starting the import paperwork
  • owner name (not salesman)
  • address
  • phone number
Request and recieve the info and quote first before starting on to next steps

step two:

go here:
https://www.excol-ceed.gc.ca/Main-Pr...e_Accueil.aspx

and click here (circled):

step three:

if you have the phone number filled out in a different format it will not work (without the dashes) The number chose was from a song "Jenny Jenny, tell me your number!"

hit submit and it will move you to the next tab.

step four:

click this button to autofill the second tab

Step 5:

Fill out and submit the third tab, owner name acquired from step 1

Step 6:

click the by applicant, it will autofill

Step 7:

fill in the PO number and selection tabs (PO number from sales receipt in step 1)

hit submit (the same screen/tab will stay here, but with a text link about entering item for next step)

Step 8:

Step 9:

click here (circled)

Step 10:

add items, use description per sales receipt

Step 11:

and send it! (Hit accept at bottom)

The document will be sent to the government, it took about a week to recieve an email which is then forwarded to the vendor, who can now apply for an export permit:

it will look like this (as a PDF received in an email):

Step 12:

email the import doc to retailer

Essentially you are done at this point, I recieved a text about 3 weeks later from their shipper (DHL) to allow drop off with out signature, and then a couple days later a text to pay customs fees, meaning the retailer had received export permit.

You may be able to refuse pickup, and pay the customs fees at the nearest customs office to save some of the money. On a $300 USD scope the bill was about $36CAD for me so I just paid it rather than try and save a couple bucks. Google "UPS customs fees" to find out how to save overcharges by UPS or other shippers.

Timelines per my experience:
Pay for item, get info 1 day
Submit and then receive paperwork for import 1 week
Export paperwork before item can ship 3 weeks
ship/delivery 5 days

IMPORTANT NOTE:
Some manufacturers have strict agreements and policies about retailers shipping to Canada, you may get a retailer in trouble if you were to announce to say, sales reps at a gunshow in the US or Canada. As per my experience and someone repeating what I'm posting I'm not sure if Euro Optic will sell the specific brand scope out of the US. I would suggest discretion in repeating two pieces of info together (what, and where from) if you find a great deal and would like to share, check if the retailer has any hesitation to announcing online, if you don't know id suggest posting price but not the retailer, if someone else wants to know where they can PM you.

On my specific item I'm about $521 all in in a item that runs about $767 after taxes, so 2/3 local price with a month wait. If you have the funds though do the community a favour and support site vendors if you can. If you find a smoking deal on a discontinued or demo item, make that call yourself.