Thread: Slavia 618
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2019, 09:08 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I like your attitude. Newer piston seals are neoprene, I think. Air rifle diameter seems to be common, salvaged from another brand ?

Grizz
I was checking my old parts invoices and find you are right. The newer seals are neoprene.

The 618 had a leather seal, the 624 had neoprene, aside from a few other minor differences the guns are identical. From what I read it appears that the 624 is an updated 618. The pistons are even interchangeable but the seals are not.
I read somewhere that even a 630 uses the same internal parts but nothing else is even close.
The stock, trigger, barrel and trigger guard are totally different.

I was working on this 618 yesterday and discovered that the rear half of the inside of the cylinder is badly scratched. It looks like someone tried to hone it with a 60 grit stone.

It does develop around 250 fps on the chorny with the old seals so I'm going to polish the inside with 400 and 600 grit paper and return it to service that way.
With new seals I should be able to get it up over 300fps which is more then enough for a kid this young.

Even the cracked piston isn't going to be an issue. It will work the way it is.
The crack is only on the rear ring that the cocking rod bears against.

All I really need to finish it is a trigger guard and I may be able to make do with one I have on hand from an old Cooey.
I can build the front screw if I have to.

But only if Rdamours gun doesn't have the parts I need.

If his friends gun is a 618 I may be able to change out the cylinder as well.

If not it should last long enough for the kid it's going to. When he outgrows this one I'll have another to pass down to him.
He is six now and this gun has a cut back stock so it'll be too short for him in a few years.

George Bernard Shaw