View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhunter8 View Post
I see this all the time. I had a hot water tank replaced by a prominent Plumbing and heating company in Drayton Valley. 2 guys showed up at 1pm and were all done and gone by 3:30. They charged me for 4 hours. The owners said load and unload time etc. The shop is 5 minutes from my house. I went into to talk to them and they wanted to argue and yell at me. They reduced the bill to 3 hours. Also 2 young guys doing the work. One guy said he is 1st year apprentice ($20) and 2nd said he is just starting his 3rd yr ($27) of apprenticeship. I got charged 2 Journeymans rates of around $100. I don't mind paying for what is actually done and fair but I hate being unreasonably ripped off!
Maybe I misunderstood your post, if so please correct me. Sounds like they were onsite for 2.5 hours. There were 2 technicians. The company has to pay out a total of 5 hours to the technicians, but only billed you for 4. If that is the case then it sounds like the company was being reasonable.

I also can't say I've ever seen a company bill out a different labour rate based on whether the technician is an apprentice or journeyman. They have their labour rate based on average costing of technician wage, fixed overhead, fuel costs, and any number of other factors, plus a little extra for their profit. In my industry, a journeyman technician makes about 30% of the shop's labour rate. An apprentice is closer to the 18-25%.