View Single Post
Old 03-21-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasc43 View Post
Good read from Ian Runkle, a firearms Lawyer:

* Non-restricted firearms can now only be transferred if you call the CFO and get a reference number for the transfer. This is going to be a serious issue for gun shows, most of which happen on weekends, when the CFO is not open. It'll be a headache generally, because the CFOs office does not keep the hours they claim to keep (I frequently find that if I call in at 1:00 PM I may get the message that tells me that they closed at 4:00 PM and to call again the next day). This will also aggravate the issues associated with the CFO practice of placing a licence "under review", which is not permitted by the legislation, and effectively means that a person with a valid licence is nevertheless barred by CFO fiat from exercising transfers. This is a practice that I have been looking for an opportunity to challenge in court, though. Oh, and violating this is grounds for revocation of your firearms licence... though it'd also be grounds for criminal charges. The net effect of that is mostly something that interests folks like me, because it provides negotiation options.

* Major omission: Refusals to issue a reference number aren't enunciated in section 74 (referring decisions of a firearms officer to a court to have them reviewed). This means that challenges to this are going to be in a legal limbo. Arguably case law (including Runkle v. Alberta) says that this new creature will be reviewable by the section 74 process, but it would have been nice to clear up this particular disaster.
^I don't understand this part^

Why do they not go to an automated system that you call into. Dial number and at prompt punch the PAL# in (its not like they don't have a database of all PAL holders already).

The automated system could look up the number and tell the caller whether the PAL# is valid and for what class.

.....unless of course they will be looking to input this data into a "electronic spreadsheet" like format for "quality control and training purposes" and/or to create jobs?