View Single Post
Old 07-20-2018, 11:32 PM
Banned

There’s no doubt in my mind that snaring up here and on the bald assed prairie is completely different. Anchor high, anchor low.......entanglement vs lack of.......so many differences. It sounds a lot more challenging catching coyotes on the prairie than up here. It’s very convenient having a tree to anchor to right beside a trail.

I’ve never had an issue with birds......even eagles. They leave my Yotes alone and would rather feed on my bait. The only exception is mange Yotes. Ravens get on them right away but it doesn’t matter anyway. I guess that they already smell dead.

Coyotes around here can hit the bait at all hours of the day and will even bed down in the same small patch of bush. I’ve bumped quite a few doing my checks and even scared one into a snare last year.

Just a point on using a chainsaw to cut up frozen carcasses......don’t do it. A couple of years ago I cut three frozen calves up in manageable pieces and even the birds wouldn’t touch it. In hindsight, those chunks must have stunk like oil exhaust and bar oil......not too smart. It was actually counterproductive and kept the Yotes away. Live and learn I guess.