View Single Post
Old 02-21-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
I would recommend a range finder. You don’t have to break the bank on one. $200 will get you what you need. With bow hunting, the difference between a 20 yard shot and 30 yard shot and where to aim is important and will make a big difference between success and a miss. Practice and get comfortable and confident with your ranges. Set a limit on how far you’re willing to shoot at an animal.

For regulations use the Alberta hunting regs website. In my opinion it’s pretty straight forward. Species, archery only dates, general season dates (rifle, crossbow, archery, black powder), WMU. WMU is the zone codes. Maps of the WMUs are easily found on the internet. http://www.albertaregulations.ca/hun...mu/wmu200.html As an example. Anything with a black square beside it requires a draw tag. Anything without a black square can be purchased over the counter.

As for where to hunt, pick a direction and drive out into farm and bush land. Drive around for the last two hours of daylight and try and find some animals. When you find some animals that you can get a license to hunt, identify if it’s private land or public. IHunter is a good tool for this. County maps can provide info on who owns the land. Once you identify who owns the land, go talk to them and ask for permission to hunt. REPEAT.
Hi dustinjoels;

Thanks for your awesome response! Definitely going to look into a range finder!

IHunter app? Is it available on android as well?

For the dates; looking at the Alberta regs website, it lists the seasons as a code, like S1-O31 for the White-tailed Deer as an example. Where do I find what these codes mean? Because to me...that doesn't mean anything, and I can't seem to find any information online.

As to the draw tags - assuming I'm hunting a White Tailed Deer (which as per the alberta regs website, does not have the black box) do I need to enter the draw and am unassured a tag, or can I simply purchase a tag and go hunt without worrying about drawing? I'm completely confused as to how the system works in this sense (I assume the course will clarify, but trying to understand it all.).

Thank you so much for all your help!

PrpleWlf