View Single Post
Old 09-16-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
Do you want evidence based policy making in this country or not? Or should that standard only apply to certain things? If asking for evidenced based policy makes one an apologist, I'd be glad to wear that label.

Instead of targeting a specific group of animals that are lumped together based on mostly physical characteristics, why are people not asking for laws and education that address the root causes of aggression and poor ownership practices? The Toronto Humane Society cited Calgary's method of focusing on training and accountability for owners and placing information about dog safety into the public's hands as the model to emulate; in that same paper, the THS said that the legislation seemed to have no effect on the number of serious dog bites.

Which years data should we base a ban on the breeds that fall under the pit bull category? We'll need to exclude years when labs, german shepards and huskies had more bite incidents though. Same goes for the years when breeds classed as working dogs "pit bull's don't fall into this category) had more bite incidents. I'm also sure that the CMVA's position on this type of legislation is based purely based on their long standing record of being pit bull apologists, the same goes for the various humane societies in Canada

For the record, I don't own any of the breeds classed as pit bulls.

Humane societies and I do not jive. They are antihunting for the most part. Maybe remember what forum this is. The BC SPCA is absolutely against any hunting. The Toronto Humane Society has spoken out against wolf hunting in the past. Research folks....