View Single Post
Old 09-04-2016, 11:33 AM

When the ABA president first leaked to me his intention to propose banning spears and atlatls because "it is too difficult for me" and "people might complain", I called and discussed the concern with executives from each Alberta big game hunting stakeholder group.

EVERY one understood that this is NOT just about spears/atlatls, but about drawing a line of where and when to draw a line in defence of hunting. The consensus was that we needed to define and regulate a legal spear/atlatl, and that while few may be using these tools, the right thing to do would be to SUPPORT this traditional method of hunting.

One underlying factor in consideration by all was whether or not there was sufficient support within the hunting community to bother with expending the energy required to keep spears/atlatls legal. Why bother, who cares?

The general and large negative reaction to the AFGA's new position/ recent public comments demonstrates that we DO CARE and will BOTHER to stand up for our community. I believe that Wayne was mistaken to take the stance that this is not the line where the AFGA will support those in a legal but minority activity.

It is GREAT to hear so many express kind concern that "WE" need to stand up for those who are legally pursuing our passion. The AFGA needs to hear that they are wrong in calculating this issue to be unworthy of their support.

Please note the sig line I have used for the last couple of years.

Alberta Fish and Wildlife Outdoor Recreation Policy -

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."

This is current Alberta F&W POLICY!

Protecting the right for the use of legal tools should have been a top priority for both F&W and the AFGA! If F&W and the AFGA will not stand up for us on this issue, there is little reason to believe they will support us when the next round of social media outrage is unleashed.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."