View Single Post
Old 12-04-2014, 08:55 PM

Default ready for some kind of change

A few questions for everyone:

1. In regards to the opinion that with the new regulations all full curl rams will be dead as soon as they reach full curl - while this is likely true, how is it any different/worse than every 4/5 ram being killed as soon as its legal? Will the average age of harvest not increase even if fewer rams are killed??

2. In regards to the opinion that so many loopy horned rams will never reach full curl - while I agree there will always be some rams that cannot/do not reach full curl, do you not think there are many that will get there given more time??

I am still fairly young (36), and have only been a sheep hunter for 10 years or so, yet I continually see a large percentage of rams harvested are lamb tipped and barely 4/5's. I do see a lack of truly mature sheep in hunting areas when compared to what I see in adjacent parks (Peter Lougheed, Spray Lakes). I do see (surprising to some) quite a few full curl rams in those parks.
While I don't think hunter opportunity should be limited, I do think there is a problem with the number of mature rams available to harvest. I would welcome changes to allow the rams to mature, and the trophy quality, even if only incrementally, to increase.

I am not opposed to it as many of you folks are. Each their own.
Flame away....