Thread: Broadheads
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2019, 07:18 AM

It's been years since I hunted with fixed. Back in '97, my brother put me onto Rocket Steelheads (small, tight mechanicals that shoot exactly like my FP) and I still carry them. They are now almost impossible to find, but when I do find them I buy the store out of them. I've got enough repair blades that it should be able to last my lifetime.

My other choice is Grim Reaper Razorcuts that I've had good luck with as well. They shoot and group right along with my FP. A little bit bigger upon opening than the Steelheads, but same effectiveness - animals down.

When I first started hunting, my knowledge was more limited than now and I didn't have the patience or skill to tune to fixed blades. Over the years, the skills have grown but not the patience. My mechs have never let me down - NEVER! They fly where they're pointed and do the job as long as I do mine. Like Lefty states, lots of times the equipment is blamed instead of searching deeper for the real problem. Equipment can only do what it's meant to do at any given point in time. It's up to us to prepare it as best as possible to eliminate Murphy.

I can't see me ever going back to a fixed while there are so many great choices with mechs on the market. They are solidly built nowadays if you do your research and prepare them - just the same as many fixed blade options. You need to prepare both to the same degree.

J.