View Single Post
Old 02-06-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engels View Post
When the dry flies are getting that small and hard to see, have you ever tied the small dry fly as a "dropper" from another,easier to see dry fly?
I have tried this. When fishing tricos and olives, it is almost always sight fishing---never a blind cast.

Your first comment in that presentation is the most important aspect, I agree 100%. When size/fly becomes important, the fishing has become technical, and presentation is still the most important aspect, but now errors in presentation are far more significant.

At least on the Bow River, at least 80% of the time, the only good shots at BWO/trico fish is from almost straight downstream. In the case of these 2 hatches, the fish are usually tight, rising fairly rhythmically. So, to time the rhythm properly, I find best success landing the fly 40-60cm in front of the riser. I find the point fly lands too close to the rising fish, if it does not straight up spook the fish, it will throw the riser off its rhythm. If it is too far away, it is difficult to time the cast, and now there is a leader running directly over the fish.

I also find a point fly tends to screw with the drift of the dropper. It does not matter much when it is a sz16 caddis behind a big foam bug, but it does matter when it is a sz20 mayfly sitting in the film.

So, maybe other people might have more luck, but I definitely find a decrease in efficacy when using a indi-fly.