View Single Post
Old 04-03-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Don't remember not having a jackknife, we didn't have kindergarten like the town kids had so we got a couple years of building forts, fishing the creeks, climbing trees doing all the things little kids should while the poor townie kids went to kindergarten. I don't remember not having a pocket knife or remember any of my buddies not having one, even the town kids had pocket knives, it was simply a necessity growing up in the country in the 60's. How else would you whittle a slingshot, make whistles, clean your fish or trim your fingernails, etc.

Every time I see a kid strapped in a child safety seat I feel so sorry for them, They are missing out on the freedom of being a little kid riding in the back of a truck with the wind in their hair, or tearing down the hill on an old bike with no brakes and not caring if you could stop at the bottom without ending up in the creek all bruised and scratched. We never dreamed of wearing a helmet.... wtf ..is up with that. All these kids are going to grow up without broken arms or legs, poison ivy, bee stings, infected wounds, there's no more sneaking out behind the barn smoking, settin things on fire, getting the girl down the road to take her clothes off and jump in the creek or play doctor with her, there was always a girl like that in every neighbor hood, then her friend would find out and tell her mom.... then there would be a lickin you remember for the rest of your life. All of this is begotten with the right of passage that comes when you get your first pocket knife. Todays kids have no idea what they are missing.
Thats my childhood right there. Hop on bikes in the a.m. with some grub, matches and some smokes and be gone all day. Building forts, playing cowboys and Indians with pellet guns, smoking, lighting fires and roasting garlic sausage. Down to the creek and build rafts, learning to swim when you fell off. We all carried knives and usually BB and pellet guns. When we ran out of ammo we chucked rocks, we had pretty good arms and unlimited energy. My grandkids now are pussified nintendo playing sucks. I wont tolerate it when they come to visit, its outside and we invent our own fun till the sun goes down....hopefully they learn something.